Thursday 17 April 2008

Did I say I want a leave ?

Considering that I thought I would be learning to take leaves, as a part of my "Equipping oneself with Real-time Job-Experience", a book that I once thought of writing as a part of all the drama's I'd have done, I can now say that I haven't been close to even being in the vicinity of "Being Successful". Sad. Pathetic, in fact. Coming to think of it, when I once took leave for the Telugu new year (Ugadi), my PL even commented "New year comes every year. But this project won't". And I knew it would be a tough time for my book. That I've taken that leave for the new year, is another point. But the thing is, falling down from keeping my regular health and mastering "The Art of Losing", my whole perception of taking the leave has changed. Too bad. I haven't thought that my plan would back fire right from my first place where the whole origin of the thought is challenged. Anyway, I had to take sick leave of almost two months which made my whole set of leaves to zephyr, saving the sick leaves that come in every new quarter. And now, I have got a transfer of location, the basis of which was that I have committed "not to take leave until 3 months", the period which is going to end soon, and the reason for this blog entry.
Right now, my job profile is so good that I hardly want to take leave. Being a point-of-contact for a team which uses a software product that fails as often as the power cuts that used to occur in Shakkarnagar during the 90's, really is a challenging, though not intimidating job. And I tell you the frequency of power cuts was really high.
Enough now. I think I'll rethink my strategies, and change the title of my book to "21 Proven ways to pretend you're working". And hey, this is not about being idle. It is useful for that too but the purpose of this one would be to tell your manager that you are working when you are really, seriously working. Yes, there are managers who think you don't work even though you do. And it all depends on how you tell it. As for me, I have already got appreciated from my Delivery Manager within a period of two-months-odd-days of joining the project. A task which I myself used to consider tougher than reading Garfield. You don't know, I hate that silly cat and strongly believe it is a meaningless piece of crap. No offense. But really all that boring cat with its bulging eyes does is watch an ant move from one end of the panel to the other until you feel so irritated that you might go to your boss and say "You're fired". By the way, did this comparison go right ? I guess it doesn't matter anyway.
Salud.

No comments: